According to the legend, Hum was built with the stones left over when giants were building towns in the river Mirna valley. Hum is officially listed as the smallest town in the world. On its western side, the town is enclosed by walls and on the remaining sides houses are built into the defensive walls. It was first mentioned in documents dating from 1102, at which time it was called Cholm which is derived from the Italian name Colmo. A bell and watch tower were built in 1552 as part of the town’s defenses beside the town loggia.
The town’s parish church of St. Jerome with its classical facade was built in 1802 on the side of an earlier church which was built by the local master Juraj Gržinič.
The “Hum Glagolitic wall writings” are preserved in the church, written in the formative period of Glagolitic (the second half of the 12th century) and they are one of the oldest examples of Croatian Glagolitic literary culture in the Middle Ages. The town’s museum displays a few Glagolitic writings.
Apart from being famous as the smallest town in the world, it has also been recently promoted as the Town of biska. Biska is mistletoe brandy whose original recipe comes from Hum. Every year at the end of October Hum is the host of a Brandy exhibit where a competition for the best brandy in Istria is organized. Today Hum has about 20 inhabitants.